NaNoWriMo Week Two

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is well under way with week two complete I have a few words of advice.
The first thing is that words will get harder to come up with. You will get stuck. I have multiple times over the last week. Something I’ve found helpful is having more than one document. I have written different scenes that I came up with that got me back on track. I use Google Docs for all my writing but I did experiment with Scrivener. I prefer Google Docs personally.

The second word of advice I have is don’t worry about your word count all the time. I have been stressing over the amount of words that I did not want to continue with NaNoWriMo. As of now I only have 12,330 words. I had hoped to be at 20,000 words by now. I blame my four day weekend to that. I only wrote one day of the past four.
Don’t get distracted. The worst thing for writers participating in NaNoWriMo is procrastination. I have a habit of sending out a tweet then spending an hour on Twitter. Instagram and facebook are also things that get me in trouble while writing. My advice is log out of all social media and put a wifi blocker on. It gets rid of the distractions and allows for quicker writing.
Don’t let plot holes slow you down. You can’t write a perfect novel in a month. You just need to get words on a page. If you have random things in your plot that have nothing to do with the rest of the novel don’t worry about it. It will all resolve itself when you edit it in January.
There are a few things you can do to help get ideas flowing. Talk to other NaNoWriMo participants. Add them as a buddy. Use social media to connect with other writers chance are you will make some new friends. Join forums on the NaNoWriMo site. All of these will connect you with other writers who you can bounce ideas off of.
Go to your local write in’s or join an online one. Participate in words sprints not only will it boost your word count but it will challenge you to write so many words in the timed period.

My final piece of advice is just write. Anything is better than nothing.

Comments